Table of Contents
Barley grass is the young leaf of the barley plant (Hordeum vulgare). Sometimes referred to as “barley leaves” or “barley green,” barley grass is rich in chlorophyll and antioxidants (such as lutonarin and saponarin), and likewise consists of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), ferulic acid, vitamins, and minerals.
Barley grass is used as a component at lots of juice bars. In addition, natural-food shops frequently sell bottled juice drinks consisting of barley grass juice. Some stores also sell sets that enable you to grow your own barley grass for juicing.
In Japan, green juices made with components like young barley grass juice are called “aojiru,” and are extensively consumed to boost health.2 Barley grass powder (a dehydrated type of barley grass extract), barley grass capsules, and barley grass tablets are offered in lots of natural-food stores and in stores concentrating on dietary supplements.
Barley Grass Nutrition Facts
3 teaspoons of barley grass juice powder (5g) supply 20 calories, 2g of protein, 2g of carbs, and 0g of fat. Barley juice is an outstanding source of vitamin A, iron, and magnesium. The following dietary data is from the USDA.
- Calories: 20
- Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 2g
- Fiber: 0g
- Sugars: 1g
- Protein: 2g
- Vitamin A: 950IU
- Iron: 1.1 mg
- Magnesium: 25mg
Three teaspoons of barley grass juice powder include 2 grams of carbohydrates, none of which comes from fiber. There has to do with 1 gram of natural sugars in this serving size.
Barley grass juice powder is fat-free.
Barley grass juice powder has 2 grams of protein in a three-teaspoon serving.
Vitamins and Minerals
Barley grass juice powder is particularly high in vitamin A, with 20% of your daily recommended consumption (based upon a 2,000 calorie diet) in just 3 teaspoons. It is also an excellent source of riboflavin, potassium, iron, and magnesium.
3 teaspoons of barley grass juice powder (5g) offer 20 calories, half of which originate from carbohydrates and the other half from protein. 1.
Barley grass is rich in amino acids, which are necessary foundation for proteins in the body. The 9 important amino acids barley grass offers helps the body repair work muscles, capillary, and even bone marrow. (1 ).
Barley grass is also a good source of:
The essential amino acids in barley grass are total, making it one of the most nutrient-dense foods worldwide. A lot of plants do not offer all the important amino acids that the human body requirements. Barley grass can offer every amino acid, helping individuals who consume plant-based diet plans to get the nutrition they require.
How to Prepare Barley Grass?
Barley grass is generally consumed as part of a juice, because the texture can be unpleasant to eat. You can grow your own barley grass and juice it yourself, or you can purchase barley grass extract as a powder. Barley grass juice can be discovered at juice bars, in organic food stores, and even in some bigger grocery stores around the nation.
If you have an interest in adding barley grass juice to your diet plan, consider the following alternatives:.
- Consume barley grass juice on its own
- Include barley grass juice to healthy smoothies
- Consist of a tablespoon of barley grass powder in protein shakes
- Add barley grass juice to mixed drinks
- Use barley grass juice in zucchini bread (2 )
9 Advantages of Barley Grass Juice
- It is a powerful anti-oxidant: Anti-oxidants benefit your heart and they protect your body from all kinds of extreme damage caused when you are exposed to pollution, smoking cigarettes, and specific chemicals.
- It is understood to improve the immune system: The body immune system is like an anti-virus for our body. It discovers antigens and helps the body to get resistance versus them so that the next time when they enter our body, we don’t get ill from them.
- It cleanses the body by launching additional water: Detoxing is the procedure of getting rid of hazardous compounds from our body. Intake of Barley Grass juice releases extra water making us fit and fine in no time!
- Deals With Ulcerative Colitis: Consume Barley Grass Juice for a healthy gut. Ulcerative Colitis is a type of bowel illness which leads to the inflammation of your gastrointestinal system. The disease often leads to the development of ulcers affecting the inner-most layer of your large intestinal tract and anus.
- Aids Weight reduction indirectly by boosting the metabolic process: Metabolism is basically the body’s speed of burning calories. Since Barley Grass Juice is rich in anti-oxidants and helps in reliable detoxing of the body, it aids indirectly and assists you to reduce weight. Barley Grass Juice helps in efficient detoxing of the body.
- Promotes Bone Health: The health of the bones in our body is determined utilizing a term called ‘Bone Mineral Density’. The higher this density, the better is the condition of our bones. Barley Grass Juice increases this density that makes it an essential health beverage.
- Enhances Skin Health: Barley Grass Juice provides your body the much needed anti-oxidants which assist in repelling free-radical damage on our skin and therefore, usage of it improves your skin health too.
- Lowers Excess Level of acidity: Level of acidity takes place when your body produces more than what it needs in terms of acids to absorb the food you eat. Consumption of Barley Grass Juice helps in canceling the acid content in your belly and relieves the burning sensation therefore caused.
- It assists in cases of Hyperlipidemia: Hyperlipidemia is a condition caused by high levels of cholesterol in your body. When additional fats collect in your blood that is when an individual is stated to be experiencing this condition. Regular consumption of Barley Grass Juice helps in enhancing this condition. In General, Barley Grass juice is among the many health beverages you can opt for, as it includes a lot of health advantages aimed at keeping you healthy and fit. You can grow the yard in your garden and juice it when you feel like having a glass. Else, you can even buy it from the marketplace. Club this health beverage with a well balanced diet plan and you won’t require anything else to remain in leading shape! (3 )
Additional Surprising Benefits Of Barley Grass
May Relieve Ulcerative Colitis
Barley grass is a valuable herb in treating ulcerative colitis crediting to its stimulating impact on gut-friendly germs. It has actually been found to assist in minimizing swelling and other associated signs linked in ulcerative colitis by lowering the provocative chemicals in the bowel. This nutrient-rich food may likewise help in stabilizing the fluidity in the bowel and removing accumulated contaminants from the body.
Might Increase Immunity
Barley grass might support enhancing the immune defense mechanism of the body. Regular intake provides the needed nutrition which is required for balancing the optimum production of immune cells in the body. An efficient and strong immune defense system vigilantly combats infections and prevents the development of persistent inflammatory illness.
May Have Anti-cancer Possible
Barley grass has been experimented with in different diet plans for persistent disease avoidance. A study published in the Biomedical Journal in 2017 states that Korean researchers discovered that barley grass extract caused apoptosis of breast and prostate cancer cells and may work for cancer treatment during healing interventions. While these outcomes are appealing, its anti-cancer homes have yet to be completely checked out.
Might Protect versus UV Radiation
Another useful result of barley grass is its possibly protective action versus the cell destructing effects of UV radiation. It extends a restorative relief on the existing damaged cell owing to the presence of superoxide dismutase enzymes.
It may likewise act defensively versus the effects of radioactivity; some attribute this to the presence of chlorophyll material, which may enhance the resistance to radioactivity and likewise encourages the production of new blood cells. For this reason, it is typically advised to drink barley grass juice pre and post-exposure to x-rays to supply extra security (together with suitable individual protective gear) against the radioactive damage.
May Fight Addiction
Barley grass is also thought about a home remedy for fighting different sort of addictions. The presence of glutamic acid in it is said to prevent the craving for alcohol, coffee, nicotine, drugs, and even sugary sweets. However, for those with a harmful dependency, it is best to seek medical attention in mix with this house therapy.
Might Reduce Signs of Aging
Barley grass is thought about a natural method to stimulate the regrowth of cells with no negative effects– and reduce indications of aging. Important parts such as chlorophyll, vitamin B, iron, and phycocyanin, a blue pigment in barley grass, improve the bone marrow and support the creation of white and red blood cells. This renewing result of barley grass also helps in reducing the signs of aging by renewing the aging cells and assisting to keep healthy and younger skin.
Barley grass is utilized worldwide in soups and stews, and for making barley bread. Barley is likewise used in the production of malted items, such as malted milk, red wine, and beer.
Apart from a remarkable series of usage for humans, barley grass is also utilized to make hay and fodder for animals.
Word of Caution: Although barley grass is normally safe, some people might react sensitively to the barley grain with signs consisting of vomiting, itching, and burning feeling in the throat and mouth. Those people need to avoid making use of barley grass or discuss it with a medical specialist to better comprehend if this is allergy-related.
Gluten in Grains
While pure barley grass, with no grains, consists of no gluten at all, individuals experiencing celiac illness ought to generally prevent the usage of barley products made from the grain as they might include gluten protein. Celiac disease hinders the absorption of crucial nutrients in the body and may lead to serious complications associated with the brain, liver, and the nervous system.
Natural caution prior to attempting barley grass for the first time is constantly recommended especially when the level of sensitivity is not known. During special conditions such as pregnancy and lactation, it is suggested to speak with a professional to comprehend the proper dose and impacts of barley grass to prevent any complications. (4 ).
Barley and your hair
Healthy hair is a part of a healthy body. The shortage of nutrients or a prolonged illness can adversely impact your hair. Barley includes all the crucial nutrients, consisting of proteins, carbohydrates, dietary fiber in addition to vitamins and anti-oxidants, that are essential for hair health and uses the following hair care benefits.
1. Brings Back Hair Colour:
The usage of green barley grass helps in restoring your hair color. Moreover, barley consists of the mineral copper that is involved in the formation of melanin, a pigment which offers color to your hair.
2. Promotes Hair Development:
Barley is abundant in the micronutrients, thiamin and niacin, that assist in hair development. It likewise consists of Procyanidin B-3, which is isolated from barley and determined as a hair growth stimulant.
3. Combats Loss Of Hair:
Anemia is one of the most common causes of hair loss. Barley contains the minerals iron and copper, which enhance the production of red blood cells, thus warding off anemia and, as a result, stimulating hair growth. (5 ).
How To Grow Barley Grass Indoors For Juicing
Growing barley grass at home is as easy and economical as growing wheat grass, and some individuals discover they prefer the taste of barley grass juice to wheat yard juice, for its milder taste. Barley sprouts and the juice you can make are a natural anti-oxidant in addition to a natural metabolic process booster. Follow the steps listed below to begin growing your own barley grass at home and make homemade barley grass juice!
TYPES OF BARLEY GRASS
There are lots of types of barley grass and there are various methods to categorize each type. The very best way to distinguish barley grass types is to count the grains when the grass is completely grown. Each type has a various variety of grains. The various types do not alter the composition of the turf itself, so the type of barley grass you pick has little result on the final juice.
Products For Growing Barley Grass
- Container or bowl for soaking
- 1 cup Barley Seeds
- 10×10-inch Tidy growing tray, with holes for draining:
- Plastic food tray from deli, thoroughly washed
- Growing tray from garden supply store
- Ornamental planter (for growing ornamental turf)
- Soil improved with fertilizer, garden compost, or azomite, if necessary
- Plastic lid with air shaft or extra tray to utilize as tray cover
How To Step Barley Seeds For Your Tray Size
1 cup of barley seeds ( 1/2 lb) is enough for a 10×10-inch tray and grows enough lawn to make about 10 ounces of barley grass juice. If your tray is a different size, change the quantity of seeds accordingly.
Directions For Growing Barley Grass
Follow directions for Growing Barley and sprout simply until tails begin to show. Prevent over-sprouting or sprouts might not root in the soil for growing barley grass.
- Include a 1/2- to 1-inch layer of soil to growing tray.
- Water gently to dampen soil. Prevent overwatering to the point puddles form.
- Sprinkle seeds equally throughout soil, breaking up clumps as required.
- Sprinkle loose soil over seeds.
- Location tray in an area with indirect light, at 60-80ºf.
- Cover with a plastic cover with air shaft to develop a greenhouse effect. Ensure cover is high enough to enable lawn to grow 1-2 inches.
- Water daily, avoid overwatering. Using a spray bottle is an excellent watering technique till seeds root and yard begins to grow.
- After yard is 1-2 inches, eliminate cover, about day 4.
- Continue to water daily, gently to avoid harmful young turf.
Gathering Barley Grass For Juicing
- Harvest grass at any point, typically about 6 inches tall, for juicing.
- Use scissors to cut turf simply above roots.
- Juice instantly.
- If wanted, let the yard grow a 2nd blade, for a second harvest. Nutritional content of yard from the second harvest is much lower than yard from the first harvest. (6 )
11 Major Side Effects Of Barley Water
1. Flatus/ Digestive Gas
Barley is a great source of dietary fiber. This might trigger digestive tract gas or flatus. The factor behind it is the activities of the beneficial bacteria present in our colon. So, attempt to limit your barley water intake to prevent gas formation.
Excessive usage of barley water may distress the stomach. Barley water can also interact with specific medications leading to stomach upset. In both cases, the stomach inflammation can feature minor to major symptoms like pain, cramps, bloating, and sometimes even loose bowels or diarrhea and aggravate other IBS symptoms.
If you consume excessive barley water, the chances are that you will end up developing chronic constipation. Make sure that you consult your doctor in case the problem continues for more than 7 days at a time.
4. Rectal Bleeding
In serious case of constipation, you might experience rectal bleeding with sharp pain. Try to prevent consuming this natural laxative in bulk total up to prevent such situations.
5. Fungal Contamination
It has actually been reported that barley water can result in fungal contamination from time to time. Specific impurities discovered in the malt extract are Trichothecium Roseum and Ochratoxin A. These toxins can take a toll on our bones by breaking them down.
6. Allergic Reactions
Allergies to barley water are also rather typical. If you currently struggle with hypersensitivity or allergic reaction in the current past, it is time to regulate your everyday intake of barley water. Or else, you might experience a number of symptoms like rashes, inflammation, hives, irritation in addition to swelling of eyes, eyelids, nose, arms, legs, and even anaphylaxis.
7. Bakers’ Asthma
The grain of barley can trigger a serious respiratory allergic reaction called ‘bakers’ asthma’. Individuals operating in pastry shops are prone to this condition. However you can likewise fall prey to it if you are exposed to lots of barley flour while preparing your barley water. So, take care.
8. Blocked/ Burst Esophagus
Being packed with fiber, barley can damage your esophagus too. Whenever preparing your drink, make certain that you include enough water to the extract of the malt. Otherwise, you may deal with difficulty in swallowing, which can ultimately block and even rupture your esophagus.
9. Celiac Disease
Celiac disease is essentially wheat allergic reaction, which is triggered due to gluten intolerance. Barley includes a big amount of gluten, consequently making the condition even worse.
10. Decreased Blood Glucose
Overconsumption of barley water can decrease the amount of sugar in your blood stream. If it goes under the normal level, you will establish hypoglycemia. So, try to keep a close eye on your blood glucose level while drinking barley water regularly.
11. Surgical Problems
As barley water can trigger an unexpected fall in your blood glucose levels, you need to always take preventative measures prior to going through surgery. It is suggested that you stop having the drink a minimum of 10 to 14 days prior to going under the knife. It may help you control your blood sugar level so that you can keep all sorts of surgical complications at bay. (7 ).
What is the recommended dosage?
A dose of 15 g/day dried barley leaf extract has actually been utilized to lower cholesterol.
Contraindications have actually not yet been determined.
Information regarding security and efficacy in pregnancy and lactation is lacking. (8 ).
Special Measures & Warnings
Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Barley is LIKELY SAFE when taken by mouth during pregnancy in quantities frequently discovered in foods. However, barley sprouts are perhaps risky and ought to not be consumed in high quantities during pregnancy.
There is inadequate trusted details about the security of taking barley if you are breast-feeding. Remain on the safe side and avoid usage.
Celiac illness or gluten level of sensitivity: The gluten in barley can make celiac disease worse. Avoid utilizing barley.
Allergies to cereal grains: Consuming barley may cause an allergic reaction in people who are sensitive to other cereal grains, consisting of rye, wheat, oat, corn and rice.
Diabetes: Barley may reduce blood glucose levels. Your diabetes medications might need to be changed by your healthcare provider.
Surgery: Barley may decrease blood glucose levels. There is an issue that it may disrupt blood sugar control throughout and after surgical treatment. Stop using barley a minimum of 2 weeks before an arranged surgical treatment. (9 ).
Barley grass may in some cases be abundant in vitamin K, which disrupts the action of anticoagulants such as Coumadin (the brand name for warfarin, a substance abuse to deal with and avoid blood clots ). Other than an allergic reaction, there are no known unfavorable effects credited to barley grass. (10 ).