Table of Contents
Cardamom is an herb. The seeds are used to make medicine.
Cardamom is utilized for digestion problems consisting of heartburn, digestive convulsions, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), digestive tract gas, irregularity, liver and gallbladder grievances, and loss of appetite. It is likewise utilized for acute rhinitis, cough, bronchitis, aching mouth and throat, and tendency towards infection. Some people utilize cardamom as a stimulant and for urinary issues.
In foods, cardamom is utilized as a spice in many parts of the world.
How does it work?
Cardamom contains chemicals that appear to deal with stomach and intestinal tract spasms and gas, and increase the motion of food through the intestinal tract. 
History of Cardamom – The queen of spices
Cardamom is known to be among the earliest spice known in the history of Humanity. A wild plant initially discovered in the Western Ghats of South West India. It comes under the household of ginger and procedure numerous medical values. It was a native produce of the forest and was considered as a natural wild plant, which was gathered by the tribal community during their commute through the jungle for food. It was sun-dried and traded villagers for cloth and salt. The villagers close to the forests bought it to merchants who took it to the port and traded to a maritime sailor who came to different ports on the Malabar coast. It was from here that it reached numerous civilization that existed throughout different periods in the history of mankind. Some of the known trade routes from the hills to the ports were.
Many believe that cardamom was a crop that arrived the Indian mainland from other parts of the world, much like how rubber and vanilla arrived in the subcontinent. Nevertheless, the fact remains that cardamom is very much native to the high series of the Western Ghats which is one of the leading biospheres locations in the world. Numerous historic books have mentioned about cardamom from the upper series of the modern South India. Chanakya wrote Arthashatra, the counselor of Chandragupta Maurya written in 4th century BC has actually discussed explicitly cardamom as “A green pearl discovered in the banks of the river Periyar in the South West mountains” they used to call is “Chaurnayam.” Amarakosha – a vocabulary of Sanskrit roots written by “Amarasimha,” a Buddhist who lived throughout the 8th century AD, has actually mentioned various names of cardamom. There has actually been mention of cardamom utilized as a medical active ingredient in lots of Ayurveda books because 1000 BC. Cardamom is locally called “Elam” or “Ellakka,” it goes back to the Dravidian roots where it was called “El” later due to the influence of the Sanskrit language, over the years it became “Ela” (Ae-la). The word Ela was soaked up into other South Indian languages as “Yela Kulu” in Telugu, “Ellaki” in Kanada and “Ellakkai” in Tamil. The taxonomic name of green cardamom – “Elettaria Cardamom” was derived with a combination of “Ela” and “Kardamum” – the Greek word.
The uses of cardamom have actually been tape-recorded since the Pyramid age of Egypt and have discussed in many historical books. The Egyptians used it as a medicinal active ingredient, a mouth freshener and even as a prime ingredient for the preparation of oils that were applied to the mummification process. Some accounts mention the discussing of aromatic oils in the Bible is considered to be prepared with the base as cardamom. Cardamom reached the Romans and the Greek via Arabia. Amomum and Kardamum describe the cardamom that came from the southern Hills of the contemporary India. Kardamum has been pointed out in the works of Plutarch and Hippocrates – who is thought about to be the daddy of modern medicine. Pedanius Dioscorides, the Greek physician who lived during advertisement 40 to 90, wrote a series of books named materia medica, in which the medicinal qualities of cardamom are extremely well elaborated. Traders from Babylonians, Mesopotamians, and Assyrian had great maritime trade relations with the Malabar coast where cardamom trade was very popular during various stages of ancient service. Babylonians used cardamom for their spiritual ceremonies. Cardamom tea and coffee were unique preparations throughout great Arab banquets. Cardamom was a product that numerous kings used as an offering to other kings throughout their political gos to.
Cardamom was considered to be a valuable green gem for many civilizations, mainly due to its deficiency and its initial medical and aromatic worths which were found considering that ancient times. The difficulties to reach it far and large lands made it more precious. 
Nutritional worth of cardamom
Cardamom consists of numerous vitamins and minerals, in addition to some fiber. It is also really low in carbohydrates and calories.
According to the Department of Farming, one tablespoon of ground cardamom includes the following nutrients:.
- calories: 18
- total fat: 0.4 grams (g)
- carbohydrates: 4.0 g
- fiber: 1.6 g
- protein: 0.6 g
It likewise contains the following amounts of vitamins and minerals:.
- potassium: 64.9 milligrams (mg)
- calcium: 22.2 mg
- iron: 0.81 mg
- magnesium: 13.3 mg
- phosphorus: 10.3 mg 
What Are The Health Benefits Of Cardamom?
Cardamom assists enhance digestive health and avoids particular serious disorders like cancer. It also helps in diabetes treatment and helps you deal with anxiety. You can consist of cardamom in your diet plan as you typically do or perhaps take cardamom milk (likewise called elaichi milk) to get the marvelous advantages.
1. Enhances Digestive Health
According to an Indian study, cardamom can be used in foods not just for taste, however also for boosting food digestion. The spice likewise promotes metabolic process, provided its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
Cardamom is also known to stimulate the secretion of bile acid in the stomach, further helping in digestion and appropriate fat metabolic process. The spice likewise avoids other intestinal ailments like acid reflux, heartburn, diarrhea, and so on 2. Promotes Heart Health
Its antioxidant properties can promote heart health. Cardamom likewise contains fiber, the nutrient that can help lower cholesterol levels and improve heart health.
The spice likewise can reduce high blood pressure levels– and this advantages the heart. Just have a concoction of a teaspoon of coriander and a pinch of cardamom along with a cup of freshly squeezed peach juice.
Black cardamom appears to work better than its green cousin when it concerns heart health. One research study performed on patients with ischemic heart disease had their plasma lipid profiles and antioxidant status and fibrinolytic activity (a process that prevents blood clots from growing and causing issues) getting better post the consumption of black cardamom.
According to a report by the Harvard Medical School, cardamom is one of the ingredients heart experts usually consist of in their dinners.
3. Help In Cancer Avoidance
Cardamom has displayed its prospective as a natural cancer treatment. Numerous animal research studies have actually shown that the spice can be utilized to prevent, hold-up, and even reverse cancer development.
As per one Saudi Arabian research study, administration of cardamom powder had actually minimized the occurrence of tumors. Cardamom likewise reduces general inflammation, which inhibits the growth of cancer cells and encourages their death. Another Saudi Arabian study specifies that cardamom has the prospective to treat forestomach cancer.
The spice had actually also shown desirable results on chemically caused colorectal cancer in mice.
4. Has Diuretic Properties
Cardamom has diuretic homes that can benefit cases of high blood pressure, heart failure, and epilepsy. These diuretic homes of cardamom also aid in cleansing.
5. Helps Battle Anxiety
According to a health report, cardamom can certainly help individuals deal with anxiety. Simply powder a few seeds of cardamom and boil them in water along with your daily tea. Take the tea frequently for better outcomes.
6. Battles Asthma
Cardamom plays a role in fighting asthma signs like wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, and tightness in the chest. The spice makes breathing much easier by improving blood flow within the lungs. It likewise fights related inflammation by calming the mucous membranes.
Another report says that green cardamom can be used to treat asthma, bronchitis, and numerous other breathing problems.
7. Help In Diabetes Treatment
Cardamom is very rich in manganese– a mineral that can decrease the threat of diabetes. However, a lot more research is required in this element.
8. Enhances Oral Health
Cardamom possesses antimicrobial residential or commercial properties that improve oral health. Cardamom can secure versus oral pathogens like Streptococci mutans. The pungent taste of cardamom even stimulates the salivary circulation– and this can assist avoid cavities.
Cardamom can also work well in treating bad breath. Particularly when you take a mixture of spices, including the seeds of anise, cardamom, and fennel– halitosis wouldn’t be a problem any longer.
9. Boosts Hunger
One Polish study emphasizes on the use of cardamom for dealing with an absence of hunger. Even cardamom oil can be utilized as a cravings stimulant.
Cardamom can also assist in the treatment of histoplasmosis– a condition in which one of the signs is an absence of hunger.
10. Lowers Blood Pressure Levels
According to an Indian study, cardamom successfully decreases blood pressure. You can simply include cardamom in your soups and stews and even baked items to keep your blood pressure levels in check.
11. Improves Sexual Health
Cardamom is a proven aphrodisiac. The spice is abundant in a substance called cineole, and simply a small pinch of cardamom powder can launch nerve stimulants and sustain your enthusiasms.
Some reports state that cardamom can likewise treat impotence. Further research is necessitated.
12. Can Treat Hiccups
Cardamom has muscle-relaxing residential or commercial properties, and these can help relieve missteps. All you need to do is add a teaspoon of cardamom powder to hot water. Let it steep for about 15 minutes. Strain and take in gradually.
13. Assists Reward Sore Throat
A mix of cardamom, cinnamon, and black pepper can work wonders for treating an aching throat. While cardamom soothes the sore throat and minimizes irritation, cinnamon offers antibacterial defense. And black pepper enhances the bioavailability of the two components. You can take 1 gram each of cardamom and cinnamon powders, 125 mg of black pepper, in addition to 1 teaspoon of honey. Mix all components and lick the mixture thrice a day.
Cardamom also has actually been found to minimize queasiness and avoid throwing up. In one research study, guinea pig who were given cardamom powder revealed less frequency and duration of queasiness and less frequency of throwing up.
14. Prevents Blood Clots
According to the Central Food Technological Research Institute in India, cardamom consists of several components that relieve embolism. But yes, adequate research is doing not have in this aspect.
What Are The Advantages For The Skin?
The skin advantages of cardamom can be attributed to its antibacterial and antioxidant homes. The spice helps deal with skin allergic reactions and improves skin complexion. It can likewise be utilized as a tool to cleanse the skin.
15. Improves Complexion
Among the advantages of cardamom is that it can give you fair skin. Cardamom important oil helps in removing acnes, hence offering you a fairer skin.
You can either purchase skin care items containing cardamom or its vital oil. Or you can simply mix cardamom powder with honey and use it as a face mask.
16. Improves Blood Flow
Cardamom consists of vitamin C, which is an effective antioxidant. It improves blood circulation throughout the body. Likewise, the many layers of phytonutrients in the spice can improve blood flow– which inevitably enhances skin health.
17. Deals With Skin Allergies
Cardamom, especially the black variety, has anti-bacterial properties. Applying a cardamom and honey mask (a mix of cardamom powder and honey) to the affected area can give relief.
18. Imparts Fragrance
Cardamom is frequently utilized in cosmetics to impart fragrance. Due to its unique spicy, sweet scent, both cardamom and cardamom oil are utilized in perfumes, soaps, body washes, powders, and other cosmetics. Asian style fragrances and other aromatic items frequently utilize cardamom as an ingredient in addition to other important oils.
19. Provides Restorative Benefits To The Skin
Cardamom can be utilized in skin care products for antibacterial and anti-inflammatory functions to soothe and relieve the skin, thanks to its therapeutic effects. When contributed to fragrances, it can promote the senses. Facial soaps utilize cardamom to impart a warming experience to the skin. These cosmetics utilizing cardamom for healing reasons are called aromatherapy items.
20. Functions As An Excellent Masking Representative
The strong scent of cardamom can fend off undesirable odors. This makes it a fantastic addition to cosmetic products, such as toners, that serve a specific function however smell unappealing due to the addition of particular active ingredients. Cardamom is added to these items to mask the undesirable fragrance while keeping the advantage of the cosmetic.
21. Offers Lip Care
Cardamom vital oil is often contributed to cosmetics that are applied to the lips (such as lip balms) to impart the taste of the oil and make the lips smooth.
You can merely apply the oil to your skin prior to you go to bed and clean it off in the early morning.
22. Helps You Attain Clear Skin
Black cardamom assists in flushing out the toxins that might otherwise harm your skin. Chewing some black cardamom cleanses your body, thus supplying you with clearer skin.
What About The Benefits For Hair?
Cardamom can add to enhanced hair development and the treatment of certain scalp problems.
23. Nourishes Your Scalp
The antioxidant homes of cardamom, and particularly the black type, nurture your scalp and enhance its health. The spice also nourishes the hair follicles and boosts hair strength. You can wash your hair with cardamom water (mix the powder with water and usage prior to hair shampoo) to accomplish the preferred outcomes.
The anti-bacterial homes of the spice even treat scalp infections, if any.
24. Enhances Hair Health
This is a given. Improved scalp health usually suggests stronger and better-looking hair. The spice strengthens your hair roots and offers shine and luster to your hair.
These were the advantages. A basic spice can change your health, offered you take it on a regular basis. And now, we have an important question to deal with– what is the difference between cardamom and coriander? Firstly, why should we appreciate such a comparison?
Cardamom Vs. Coriander– What’s With The Comparison?
The two are spices with similar advantages (which is why we have an interest in this comparison). Like, state, the two are used to deal with high blood sugar, hypertension, and other digestive issues. Also, cardamom and coriander are two of the five gastrointestinal spices pointed out in Ayurveda. The other 3 are cumin, ginger, and fennel.
However there are a few aspects on which the two spices vary.
|Made from the seed pods of plants in the ginger household||Comes from the seeds of the cilantro plant|
|Is thought about a warming spice||Is considered a cooling spice|
|Is native to Southern Asia and India||Is native to the Mediterranean and parts of Southern Europe|
|Guatemala is the largest manufacturer as of today||India is the biggest manufacturer as of today|
|Utilized as a solution for bad breath and asthma||Used to prevent gastrointestinal disorder|
25 Ways to Use Cardamom
Using spices like cardamom really assists me think outside package and play with brand-new tastes and cuisines that I typically don’t prepare. Cardamom is a staple in Indian and Middle Eastern cuisines (try it as a flavoring for coffee or in some mulled wine) and likewise plays a huge part in Swedish cooking, which seems weird up until you find out that it was revived from what is now Turkey to Scandinavia by Viking explorers. Cardamom was used as a breath freshener by the ancient Egyptians and a digestion aid in traditional Indian medication, but most significantly, it’s scrumptious– warm and sweet in a way that pairs well with lots of mouthwatering meals (believe poultry, curries and all sort of rice dishes) and is particularly wonderful as we head into the crisp days of fall. If you’re using the entire pods, gently toast them in a dry pan over medium heat till they begin smelling fragrant. From there you can utilize entire or toss in a spice grinder. Cardamom is one of the world’s most costly spices, 2nd only to saffron. A little bit of this pungent spice loads a punch however, so do not stress over having to utilize your entire stock in one dish. Include cardamom into your weekly regular with these 25 recipes:
- Your next weekend cooking project has actually shown up: Pistachio-Crusted Chinook Salmon with Ginger-Cardamom Yogurt Sauce, Glazed Beets and Grilled Summer Squash. Although this dish makes up a number of pieces, none are overwhelmingly complicated.
- Aarti Sequeira rehydrates dates in brandy for her Date, Pistachio and Cardamom Cake (envisioned above), adding a little bit of bite to contrast the sticky sweetness of the dates.
- Just when you think creme brulee can’t be improved upon, in comes Banana and Cardamom Creme Brulee.
- Southmoreland Plum Kabobs with Cardamom Sugar Rub might just be the most convenient (and most scrumptious) dessert you will ever make. Sprinkle plum kabobs with cardamom sugar rub, then grill and eat!
- Make easy Cardamom-Orange French Toast for a weekend reward. Aida Mollenkamp utilizes French batard bread, which resembles a baguette, but a little shorter and squatter (like a squished football). If you can’t find any batard, alternative brioche or even ciabatta.
- Roasted Pears with Cardamom Granola and Vanilla Ice Cream is a simple dessert, however substitute vanilla yogurt for ice cream and you have actually got yourself an expensive breakfast for a crowd.
- Subtly sweet Meyer Lemon Cardamom Crinkle Cookies may simply become your go-to cookie dish. A cross between the common lemon and a Mandarin orange, Meyer lemons are a little sweeter than their conventional equivalents.
- Cardamom is a terrific infuser for alcohol. Add it to your mulling spices for mulled wine, or try it in an Orange Cardamom Bellini. If you wish to get your molecular gastronomy on, try Nadia’s Cardamom Blood Orange Mojitos with Sugary Food Basil Caviar (or just muddle some basil and stop). Thai basil is a sweeter and spicier range of basil with purple stems (and sometimes leaves). You can often discover Thai basil at Asian markets, however if not available, sweet basil will be a near-perfect sub.
- Aarti Sequeira sets chicken with orange and cardamom in two timeless suppers: I Ain’t Chicken Chicken: Crispy Roasted Chicken Breasts with Orange and Cardamom and Roasted Chicken Breasts with Orange, Cardamom and Turmeric.
- Cardamom-Stewed Chickpea and Tomato Ragout is an excellent vegetarian side dish for Meatless Monday, particularly coupled with something significant like grilled eggplant steaks.
- If I still haven’t encouraged you that lamb deserves a shot, try Roger Mooking’s Cardamom Marinated Lamb Chops with Pear Chutney, Cilantro Cous and Tomato Yogurt Salad.
- Move over cupcakes; rice pudding is the brand-new “it” dessert. Get in on this scrumptious trend with some hot ranges: Tres Leches Rice Pudding, Vanilla Rice Pudding with Glazed Oranges, Orange-Cardamom Madeleines and Orange Sabayon, Instant Rice Pudding with Cinnamon, Cardamom and Blueberries and Rice Pudding with Green Tea Apple Sorbet and Chili Pineapple.
- Cardamom Vanilla Bean Ice Cream simply screams fall and asks to be paired with Pumpkin Pie Pinwheel Cookies.
- Deep Dish Cheese Pie is a sweet, hot cheese pie made with farmer cheese, which resembles (and can be replaced by) cream cheese. It’s really a variation of cottage cheese, just pressed and strained even more.
- Grab the last of the summertime stone fruits and make this Apricot Jam Dish with Noyaux, Spices and Bourbon. The noyaux is the little seed inside of an apricot pit; wrapped up in cheesecloth with spices like peppercorns, cardamom, cinnamon and cloves, the noyaux includes lots of taste to your jam.
- So you’ve simply gone apple choosing and now have the urge to bake apples in everything? Do it with Apple Crumble with Cardamom-Vanilla Caramel Sauce.
- Jamie Oliver incorporates great deals of Swedish flavors, like cardamom, into his brioche-like Attractive Swedish Buns, which are then both filled and topped with mashed blueberries.
- Grill up an exotic supper like Thai Marinated Grilled Chicken Skewers with a peanut coconut sauce that the whole household will delight in. Marinade the chicken over night for tons of taste and a no-prep supper.
- Gulab Jaman is a fried Indian dessert made with ghee (a type of clarified butter) and taken in a sweet spiced syrup.
- Moroccan-Style Fruitcake with Apricots, Dates and Figs makes use of phyllo dough instead of standard pie crust. Constantly leading thawed phyllo dough with wet paper towels when not in use to avoid drying it out.
- The Fabulous Beekman Boys’ Pineapple-Glazed Shrimp is tossed in a combination of garam masala, coriander, salt, sugar and cumin prior to heading to the grill. Garam masala is an Indian spice mix that varies in structure, however is generally made up of warm sweet and hot spices like cinnamon, cardamom and black pepper.
- Nigella Lawson’s Cornbread Topped Chile con Carne uses lots of warm Middle Eastern spices to change up a game-day classic.
- As we have actually currently established, cardamom is a popular spice in Swedish food, so it needs to be no surprise that one of the most iconic Swedish meals, meatballs, features the spice: Swedish Cardamom Meatballs.
- Michael Chiarello’s easy dessert, Zinful (Sinless) Poached Peaches with Cardamom Yogurt, sweetens up Greek yogurt with cardamom for a healthy extravagance.
- Cardamom coffee is a staple in Middle Eastern foods. Take it to the next level with a Cardamom Coffee and Cream Granita. 
9 Surprising Cardamom Negative Effects for Females
Cardamom Side Effects
The primary concern with utilizing cardamom is that there is inadequate info about its safety when used in quantities higher than those utilized for cooking purposes. Cardamom can be taken orally as an extract or powder when used at these dosages. It needs to be prevented in pregnant ladies due to the lack of known impacts during pregnancy.
Cardamom has actually also been used directly to the skin. There is insufficient trusted info about the safety of using it on the skin at doses greater than those found in foods.
Side effects in women include irritation and inflammation if applied directly to the skin and diarrhea if taken by mouth.
Extreme consumption of cardamom can result in diarrhea and dehydration. According to the book “Recovery Spices: How to Use 50 Every Day and Exotic Spices to Boost Health and Beat Disease,” taking in big amounts of cardamom may produce flatulence-inducing impacts. Take 2 grams of cardamom in pill form every day to get its advantages without needing to stress over side effects.
The U.S. National Institutes of Health reports that nausea is among the possible adverse effects of taking in high amounts of cardamom. Queasiness usually occurs when a specific takes in more than 1 gram each day of the spice. Be sure to follow your physician’s guidelines if you are taking cardamom as a supplement so you do not exceed this quantity.
According to the NIH, too much cardamom can also cause dizziness. Cardamom is a spice that might have an impact on your health and well-being, with prospective benefits such as improving your digestion. But these benefits come with negative effects when consumed in high doses. The caffeine in cardamom might also end up being bothersome if you eat excessive of the spice and are sensitive to caffeine. Possible negative effects of taking in large amounts of cardamom include headaches, dizziness, sleeping disorders, and vomiting.
4. Menstrual Cramps
Cardamom is used to deal with a range of digestive issues, consisting of stomach convulsions. Nevertheless, the very same homes in cardamom that help eliminate one type of stomach spasm can intensify another type. If you struggle with painful menstrual cramps, cardamom may increase the intensity of your cramps. Increase the quantity of water you drink throughout your duration to avoid dehydration and lessen the severity of your menstrual cramps.
Consuming adequate water is important to maintaining great total health and preventing dehydration. If consumed in big amounts, cardamom can have a moderate diuretic effect, triggering you to urinate more frequently than typical. Cardamom dehydration can take place if you do not consume more water while consuming cardamom-flavored foods or taking cardamom supplements, so make certain you drink more water.
Pregnant females must avoid cardamom because it may promote the uterus, causing miscarriages or premature labor. Cardamom supplements likewise increase stomach acid levels and heartburn, which some pregnant ladies already experience without including herbs that make these symptoms worse.
7. Blood Thinning
Cardamom may increase the risk of bleeding in individuals who take anticoagulant medications due to the fact that it appears to have blood-thinning properties, according to the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. Examples of anticoagulants include warfarin, clopidogrel, and aspirin. If you take among these medications, do not utilize cardamom without very first consulting your doctor.
Cardamom may increase insulin levels and lower blood sugar level levels in people with diabetes. According to an article released in “Food Chemistry” in April 2007, “hypoglycemia” can cause hypoglycemia in some people. If you have diabetes and take medication that reduces blood sugar levels, don’t use cardamom without very first consulting your physician, as it could cause a harmful drop in your blood sugar level.
Cardamom might affect blood sugar levels and could hinder blood sugar level control throughout and after surgery. Cardamom might decrease the main nerve system. There is issue that it might cause basic anesthesia to work less well. Stop utilizing cardamom a minimum of 2 weeks before a scheduled surgical treatment.
Cardamom is a spice that has a really strong fragrance and a sweet taste. It can be utilized to taste curries, beverages, and desserts. Cardamom is available in 2 forms– as pods or ground. The pods contain little brown seeds that are utilized in cooking, however the entire pods can also be used to add taste to hot beverages such as masala chai. Ground cardamom is frequently contributed to baked items such as cakes and cookies, or it can be sprayed on oatmeal or rice pudding.
There is presently no recommended everyday allowance (RDA) for cardamom since there have actually not been enough research studies performed on humans to establish a proper consumption level. Nevertheless, the suggested daily intake of cardamom is around 1 to 3 grams, or in between 1/4 and 3/4 teaspoon.
If you’re worried about any of the possible negative effects or interactions of cardamom, talk to your physician before adding the spice to your diet plan.
What Is The Substitute For Cardamom?
Cardamom has a very distinctive flavor that is difficult to miss. Just a percentage of the spice includes an extreme taste to savory meals and desserts. If you do not have any on hand, there are much better alternatives than others.
Green Cardamom or Black Cardamom?
The two main types of cardamom are green and black, which are used in various recipes. As a substitute for either, you can utilize the other kind of cardamom, but the result will be different. When using either one in place of the other, use half as much as the recipe calls for.
You can also substitute green cardamom with equivalent amounts of cinnamon or allspice. Both will give you comparable tastes, if not similar ones. If your dish utilizes both ground and whole black cardamom pods, use one teaspoon of cinnamon for every pod that is called for in the dish. Allspice will work better in sweeter dishes, specifically baked products and puddings, but it can likewise be used in place of green cardamom in mouthwatering meals like curries.
If you’re out of cardamom and need to make an alternative right away, blend together 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon cloves. 
Unique Preventative Measures and Cautions
- When taken by mouth: Cardamom is LIKELY SAFE when taken in amounts frequently found in food. It is perhaps SAFE when taken in the bigger amounts discovered in medication.
- When inhaled: It is potentially SAFE to breathe the vapor from cardamom important oil as aromatherapy. Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Cardamom is potentially risky when taken by mouth as a medicine during pregnancy. There is concern that taking cardamom may trigger a miscarriage. There isn’t enough trusted details to know if cardamom is safe to utilize when breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and adhere to food quantities.
- Gallstones: If you have gallstones, do not take cardamom in quantities greater than those generally discovered in food. The cardamom seed can activate gallstone colic (spasmodic pain). 
Supplement/Herb/Nutrient-drug interactions can be unsafe and, in uncommon cases, even lethal. Constantly consult your medical professional before supplementing and let them know about all drugs and supplements you are utilizing or thinking about.
There were a few reports in which patients with high cardamom intakes excreted red blood cells through their urine (hematuria). Patients taking anticoagulant or antiplatelet medications need to be especially conscious of their cardamom intake.
Since cardamom can decrease cholesterol substantially on its own, patients prescribed medication to decrease their cholesterol should beware about integrating those treatments with cardamom. The same is true for clients taking medication to lower high blood pressure. 
Though cardamom is a seasonal crop, its growth behaviour resembles more to a biennial crop in the sense that vegetative stage (tillers) emerging in one year becomes reproductive phase throughout the 2nd year and produce panicles, flowers and pills. Cardamom, being cultivated as an undergrowth with shade trees, competition for inputs among them makes dietary management an important practice in recognizing optimum yield of the crop. Escalation in expense of fertilizers makes necessary their use in an efficient and economic way. Although there exists higher need for various spices produced through organic cultivation practices, the need for organic cardamom is not much at present. Nevertheless, production of cardamom through low input sustainable agriculture including incorporated nutrition management system including use of numerous type of natural manures and bio-fertilizers ought to be focused on in the present day context of conservation of natural ecosystem and environmental protection.